We Are Westridge
A community blog featuring Head of School Elizabeth J. McGregor, the Westridge Leadership Team, our esteemed faculty members and occasional special guests
2018 Holiday Gift Guide for Girls
Running low on gift ideas for a girl in your life? Why not consider a gift that celebrates her interests, challenges her to think outside the box, and/or empowers her to give back to her community? We put together this gift guide for our community to use as a starting point for great gifts for girls ages 10 and up.
Subscription Boxes. From STEM to literature and art, there’s probably a subscription box for that! Check out a few of these awesome, girl-approved subscription boxes (some of them even give back to good causes!):
- MEL Chemistry kits ship 2-6 new experiments for young scientists to your door every month and don’t worry – they’re safe and made for home use. Recommended for ages 9-14, but fun for the whole family!
- OwlCrate is a subscription box for fans of Young Adult literature. Every month, they send a new box tailored to a fun theme, which includes a brand new young adult novel, 3-5 bookish accessories, and even goodies from the author. (For younger kids check out OwlCrate Jr., which is recommended for ages 8-12).
- Choose from one of several beautiful Fair-Trade Artisan Boxes from Globe In, and join the fight against poverty. You receive ethical and fair-trade goodies from artisans around the world, and your one-time purchase or subscription supports a variety of causes around the world (learn more here).
- The original curated box of socially conscious products, CauseBox ships quarterly or annually to your door and comes with limited edition beautiful and useful products from brands that empower women and create jobs.
Make Art Mistakes Sketchbook. Have a budding artist on your hands? Give the gift of growth mindset with this sketchbook that encourages kids to make a mess and turn their mistakes into art.
Girls Think of Everything: Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women. This book by Catherin Thimmesh dives into the inspiring stories of women and girls who invented some of the most enduring and beloved creations today.
LEGO Women of NASA. Hidden figures no more! This LEGO set features four women of NASA - Nancy Grace Roman, Margaret Hamilton, Sally Ride, and Mae Jemison – and comes with information about each woman along with building instructions for a launchpad, rocket, Hubble Space Telescope.
Gifts That Give Back. These brands support marginalized communities and empower women with their products.
- Tribe Alive partners with female artisans in Guatemala, Haiti, India, Honduras, and Fort Worth, Texas to employ at-risk women at living wages.
- Girlfriend Collective creates beautiful, environmentally-friendly leggings out of recycled water bottles and discarded fishing nets – yes, really!
- 31 Bits works with artisans in Uganda to create thoughtfully designed and ethically made jewelry and accessories and provide women with job opportunities.
Health and Wellness. Check out these gifts that break taboos around the female body and promote overall wellness.
- Yoga Pretzels is a collection of 50 colorful, illustrated yoga cards for kids and adults that teach the basics of yoga and promote movement and wellness.
- For meditation practices, try a subscription to one of these great mindfulness apps, Calm and Headspace.
- Using S’well bottles reduces single-use plastics, plus every purchase helps support clean water programs in communities across Madagascar.
Additional Resources. Didn’t find what you’re looking for? Try our gift guide from last year or see below for more suggestions from organizations we love.
Choose groups to clone to: